Monday, November 1, 2010

Cape Coast

Just got back from a weekend in Cape Coast. We left Thursday morning and finally arrived just in time to watch the sunset on the beach. We spent Friday at the two castles (Cape Coast and Elmina). The dungeons where the slaves were kept for months at a time and the scratch marks on the walls on the death chambers are reminders of the horrific past in Ghana. The buildings themselves are beautiful but the atrocities which occurred within them made me sick to my stomach. It's terrifying when you realize that it was only 200 years ago...
On a brighter note, Saturday we went to Kakum National Park and went on the canopywalk. It's between 30-4o meters above the ground and is pretty much just a board and some ropes. It was incredible though to see the rainforest from up above. I absolutely loved it but the other girl with us turns out to be afraid of heights...she was not quite as excited. We spent the rest of Saturday hanging out by the beach and looking at the various African shops in town. That evening I met up with a girl I went to college with who is working in  Cape Coast for the year. It was nice to see a face from home and finally have someone who understands when I say THE GIANTS ARE IN THE WORLD SERIES!!! (Woooo 3-1 cmon let's pull this off!!) We came back to Ho yesterday afternoon fairly quickly (it only took 3 buses and 6.5 hours) and I had plans to celebrate Halloween however I was asleep by 7 pm. So much for that...I hope the rest of you enjoyed Halloween though! I can't believe its November - I will be heading home in 29 days!

No comments:

Post a Comment