Sunday, November 21, 2010

World Diabetes Day

This past Sunday the 14th was World Diabetes Day. But because Ghana is a religious country, everything closes down on Sundays (as I sit here the internet cafe is literally the only business open and the man at the front desk asked me why I hadn't gone to church). So a celebration on a Sunday would not be very well attended. I don't know why no one thought to do it on Monday but regardless the national celebration was set for Tuesday in Ho. The diabetes ward was informed a week ahead of time that we needed to help staff the event and that our head nurse Florence would be speaking. However on Monday I saw a TV special on World Diabetes Day and said that the event would be on Thursday, as Tuesday the 16th was a Muslim holiday. Ghana recognizes both Islam and Christianity and the country essentially closes down for both religions' holidays (which is means you get double the days off!) I had to laugh at the fact the no one in Ho or Accra had thought about this conflict until a few days before the event was scheduled. Finally on Thursday we headed over to one of the biggest churches in town which was acting as our venue for the day. Because the whole day had been so poorly planned at the last minute we were not given any supplies. The head nurse brought some of her own test strips so that we could test people's blood glucose levels for free as well as measure their blood pressure, weight, height etc. No one from the capital had thought (or taken the time) to make handouts so we used the ones I had made to give to all the attendees. The program was quite unlike anything you'd see at home. Everyone sat in the church and before beginning they said an opening prayer. There were a number of speakers which were fairly informative, though I have a hard time understanding Ghanaian English sometimes. I had to laugh at the end when they provided everyone with biscuits (kind of like a dry cookie) and soda. What a healthy snack for a whole bunch of diabetics! All in all it was a pretty good day but it definitely stood as a example of the lack of infrastructure, communication and functioning bureaucracy I had already witnessed in the country.
I head home in just 9 days, which is unbelievable. There is much left I feel like I could do if I had more time but I can only hope that I will return in the near future. Hope everyone has a happy, family-filled Thanksgiving! I know I will be missing the turkey and gravy but we are going to make our own hodge podge Thanksgiving dinner with chicken and whatever else we can find at the market. Love!

No comments:

Post a Comment