Monday, October 11, 2010

My first African adventure - complete!

This weekend the other volunteer in my house, Regine, and decided to go to the Wli (vlee) waterfalls which are northeast of Ho on the Togolese border. As instructed by my host brother we left the house late (meaning a little before 7 AM!) and headed to the tros-tros station. A tros-tros is larger than a minivan but smaller than a bus and can fit about 16 people (uncomfortably), sometimes more. We rode to Ho-Hoe (Ho-Hoy) where we had to get a taxi out to the tourist center for the falls. We got totally jipped and ended up paying 20 Cedis for the ride, which really isn't much money but we could have paid 1C for the same ride in a tros-tros. A guide then took us up to the lower falls which are fabulous, I took lots of pictures. Because of all the rain you can't go up to the upper falls this time of year. But the hike was just as worthwhile if not more so. All around the path were trees and plants I've never seen before - I even saw a coffee plant and a cacoa tree! Apparently the cacoa is ripe when the fruit is yellow and then you can pick it. Inside you see these white beans which you can suck and they're very sweet and fruity. Inside of that is the cacoa which is purple actually! Once dried it is ready to be made into chocolate. I now know where the love of my life comes from :) I posted picture (not one I took) to the right...

After the hike we got lunch at a lodge right need the tourist center which is owned by a German couple. Just as we were leaving the skies decided they could hold it no longer and it began to pour. We were extremely fortunate that a truck drove by just then and took pity on us and the men kindly drove us back to Ho-Hoe. We were home in time for dinner!

This weekend there are tentative plans to head down to Cape Coast, a 6 hour tros-tros ride away. Either way I'll keep you updated! Hope all is well back in the states, it is SO hot here today. I'm actually praying for rain (once I've made it safely home, you don't want to get caught outside in the rain here).

No comments:

Post a Comment