Friday, August 17, 2012

Lindsay? Like Lindsay Lohan?

It's been 12 days in the Philippines and I can say it has yet to be boring. Picking up from where I left off, last weekend combined foreign friends and local culture in an obscure blend that you only ever experience traveling. I met so many interesting people at the guesthouse I was staying at - Brits, Australians, Canadians and even a few Spanish ladies. Hands down the best part of traveling aside from the incredible sights is the thought-provoking conversation you have with fellow globe trotters. And when you put a group of 20-somethings (who've already enjoyed the free rum from the hostel) into the pumping scene that Malate nightlife offers, you know it can only end one way - noteworthy. From meetings the ever-present prostitutes and lady-boys to the late-night karaoke, I think it's safe to say we did Manila right.

Two of these friends, the Canadian boys Allan and Andrew, are traveling the Philippines for a month. We all decided to head down to Palawan together, though since I had a meeting Tuesday the plan was for them to head south Monday evening and I would meet them in Puerto Princesa Tuesday night. Which sounds like a great idea, except that they don't have a phone (seriously, I have no idea how people functioned prior to 2000). I arrived in Puerto Tuesday evening around 9PM and asked the tricycle driver (think of a motorcycle with a sidecar - Wallace and Gromit style) to take me to the internet cafe. But ah-ha silly me, it's too late. There are none open. Finally finding a nice woman to let me use her internet, I get a message from Allan that they never even made it off Luzon. Shit. I end up spending an exuberant amount on a hotel (1200 pesos...or just shy of 30 whole dollars) and the following morning make my way on a bus to Sabang. And what is in Sabang you might ask? Well nothing more than one of the New 7 Natural Wonders of the World (no but really).



The underground river in Sabang is a 8.2 km river within a cave. The most incredible part is The Cathedral, a huge opening with rock formations that disturbingly look like the 3 wise men, Jesus, the Last Supper, etc.  One of the girls joked she almost had a religious awakening. Spending a few days on the beach, meeting more travelers from all over and playing in the water - all and all not a bad week. But I was pretty happy to get back to Manila and my apartment (where I've discovered INTERNET). And back to my favorite Filipinos. Because it wouldn't be a normal day in Manila if a taxi driver or security guard weren't asking me in all seriousness if my parents named me after the great singer, Lindsay Lohan. But such comforts of home must be short-lived as Monday I leave for a 5 day trip to northern Luzon to study snails and schistosomiasis...!

No comments:

Post a Comment